Hiring a maid or FDW in Singapore is not a cheap affair. Here are some of the costs associated which you may not consider in the first glance
- Salary: The monthly salary of the FDW which can be between 450 to 700 SGD depending upon the skillset you require.
- Bonds and Insurance: You need to have a Security bond deposited to MoM either in form of banker’s guarantee or Insurance. Besides this, you also need to have a medical insurance of at least 15,000SGD and accident insurance of 40,000SGD. The average premium is around 300 SGD per year in most cases.
- Employment agency(EA) fees: If you are hiring a fresh maid, it is adviced that you hire through an EA. An EA will charge you around 1,500SGD as their fees. Besides they will also ask you to pay the Maid’s share of EA fees as an advance which can be around 900–1200SGD. This totals to 2500 SGD in most cases. Given that most FDWs change employment or leave Singapore after one year, this comes out to around 200 SGD each month.
- FDWs Cost of Living: The maid will live in your home. You will have to provide her with a private sleeping place in your home. You might even have to upgrade to a costlier apartment to enable this. Also, you should account for her expense for food, toiletries, etc. Although it is hard to calculate the exact expense, you can safely assume it will be around 100 SGD per month.
- MOM Levy: As an FDW employer, you have to pay a monthly levy to Ministry of Manpower of 265SDG. You must check if you qualify for levy concession under any of these schemes:
1]Young child or grandchild scheme.
2] Aged person scheme.
3] Persons with disabilities scheme.
- Flight ticket of maid Back home: At the end of employment contract, you have to pay for the airfare of the maid to the source country. You can avoid this by giving your maid opportunity to transfer to another employer.
If eligible you will have to pay concessionary rate of 60SGD only. 200SDG savings per month will go a long way in balancing your budget. You can find more information on eligibility and application process here.
As you can see, an FDW will really cost you anywhere from 750–1500 SGDper month in real money. You can check out more resources about FDW hiring at Prowidor.com/blog.
You should also consider checking out prowidor.com for our updated listings of Transfer maids. You can contact them for free and save on EA fees.